ASEF Youth Programmes
With the objective of fostering future partnerships and cooperation while stimulating greater mobility for the next generation of Asian and European leaders, ASEF engages young volunteers, activists, trainers, artists, students and others in sustainable networks.
The activities are targeted at various youth constituencies from the field of education, arts, politics and economy. All programmes provide a long-term foundation for building continuing dialogue and encouraging institutional contacts and collaborations.
ASEF has over 30 programmes offering covering a diverse range of subjects and topics. Each programme spins-off into one or more projects or is a project in its own right.
People-to-People Exchange (P2P) department aims to facilitate the development and exchanges of educational (formal and non-formal) policies and practices in ASEM countries for the benefit of youth. It conducts activities that build strong partnerships and support greater mobility for the youth of Asia and Europe. The goals are:
- To create and foster sustainable networks between and among policy and decision-makers and civil society representatives in order to enable the active participation of young people in society and to facilitate the dialogue between the formal and/or non-formal educational stakeholders.
- To provide capacity-building opportunities for actors of civil society, with a particular focus on young people and educational agents, in order to support the exchange of knowledge and experiences and to empower participants to actively engage in the decision-making processes of issues affecting them.
- To contribute to the development and enhancement of ASEM policies by submitting timely recommendations and proactive feedback from formal and non-formal education stakeholders.
Currently the 51 ASEM (Asia Europe Meeting) partners are: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vietnam, the ASEAN Secretariat and the European Commission.
The P2P programmes are:
Formal Education Programmes:
- ASEM Education Hub (AEH): A programme that facilitates and promotes co-operation among higher education stakeholders in Asia and Europe.
- ASEM Education Hub (AEH): Advisory Committee: An observatory and guiding body for the initiatives of the AEH. It is composed of major higher education organisations and networks as well as individuals with proven interest, expertise and experience from ASEM countries.
- ASEM Rectors’ Conference (ASEM RC): A biennial dialogue that brings together university leaders and higher education experts from ASEM countries to discuss topical higher education policy issues between the two regions.
- Asia-Europe Education Workshops: A venue for focused discussions on the changing context that affects or influences the education sector.
- ASEM Education and Research Hub for Lifelong Learning (ASEM LLL Hub): A network of Asian and European universities engaged in comparative studies and joint researches on lifelong learning. They provide evidence-based policy recommendations for educational reforms in ASEM countries.
- Database on Education Exchange Programmes (DEEP): A comprehensive online portal on universities, student exchanges and scholarships in Asia and Europe that aims to promote better awareness of the study opportunities among students and encourage mobility of ASEM’s academic community.
- Asia-Europe Classroom Network (AEC-NET): A programme that connects secondary and high school educators and students in ASEM countries.
Non-Formal Education programmes:
- ASEF University: A 2-week programme that promotes academic discourse and intercultural exchanges among outstanding university students and young professionals from Asia and Europe.
- ASEF University Alumni Network (ASEFUAN): A grouping of young leaders who share a strong interest in the promotion of inter-cultural relations between Asia and Europe.
- Asia-Europe Youth Trainings: A venue for young people from Asia and Europe to acquire knowledge, develop skills and form attitudes that will empower them to be more active in their respective communities and grow as global citizens.
- Asia-Europe Youth Dialogue: A platform for exchange of ideas and best practices between young leaders from Asia and Europe on issues that affect political, social and economic developments in ASEM countries.
- Asia-Europe Co-operation in Voluntary Service (VolunAEt): A programme that promotes active participation of young volunteers in Asian and European societies.
How to participate:
Check the list of upcoming projects where you will find further detailed information per project or programme on how to participate http://www.asef.org/index.php?option=com_searchext&type=project&is_project=1