International Essay Contest for Young People
This contest for young people is sponsored by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO. The aim is to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
The theme of this year's International Essay Contest is "A Letter from Myself in 2030".
- Imagine what an ideal world ten years from now would be like.
- Write a letter from yourself in 2030 to your present (2020) self, in which you describe the state of the world, the way people are living, and what you, yourself, are doing in society. In addition, include any important message that you might wish to tell your present self.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of 15 June 2020) in one of the following age categories: Children (ages up to 14); Youth (ages 15 - 25).
2. Essays must be Essays must be 700 words or less, typed or printed in English, Spanish, German, French or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
Excluding essay title and cover page.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating: category (Children or Youth); essay title; your name; mailing address ; phone number; e-mail; nationality; age as of 15 June 2020; gender; school name; word count. Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants' names and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
(Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.)
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
5.Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. They need to enclose a list of participants' names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
*A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page.
6. Essays must be original and unpublished.
7. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
8. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organiser.
9. Only one entry per person is accepted.
10. For further support please consult the FAQ.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$ 900 as of February 2020) and gift (1 entrant) - 1st prize winner will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan in November 2020 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. Travel expenses will be covered by the organisers;
- 2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$ 450 as of February 2020) (2 entrants);
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift (5 entrants);
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift (25 entrants).
Winners will be announced on 31 October 2020 on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2020.
Find out more: https://www.goipeace.or.jp/en/work/essay-contest