Online Euro-Med Debate Competition
In the framework of the European Commission’s project Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange, the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition brings together debate teams from diverse backgrounds and students from higher education institutions to meet online and debate topics of their choice with the support of a resource network of debate Team Leaders, Trainers and Adjudicators.
Debate discussions will be framed around current social challenges and world events such as: the Arab Spring, democratic rights, education, climate change, immigration and power dynamics, amongst other topics.
On 18, 19, 25 and 26 April 2020, participants will be engaged in intercultural online debates; they will practice the essentials of effective communication (building arguments, listening and rebutting, structuring and presenting of speeches, intercultural awareness); and will be able to enhance their English language skills.
- The Team Leader of the winning Team will be shortlisted for the Young Mediterranean Voices Malta Leadership Seminar on 24-30 May 2020.
- The winning Debaters will be invited to join the Euromed Debate & Policy Forum in Brussels in 2-5 June 2020.
- All Team Leaders and Debaters will be awarded an Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Online Badge.
Who can apply
The competition is opent to Debate Team Leaders from the Euro-Med region and their local teams.
To participate with their team they should:
- be aged between 18-30 years old and national or resident in one of the eligible countries of the project;
- have proven experience as a debater, debate team leader or debate trainer;
- have interest in contemporary Euro-Mediterranean issues;
- have good English speaking skills;
- be able to train and lead a local debate team.
Those who have already participated previously in the activity with their team should be able to train and engage a new team in the 2020 Competition.
How to participate
New team leader applicants need to register to join the Training and select “English” and then “Competition” as their cycle. They then need to select one of the available training sessions. After completing their Team Leaders Training session, they will be expected to train their team of 6 debaters. Later on, the team leaders will be contacted to register their team members.
Read more on the Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange pages.